Counseling With Horses
People unfamiliar with horses often are surprised by the notion of incorporating them into a therapeutic process. What many people don’t realize is that horses are prey animals, and as such deeply rely on their sensitivity, intuition, herd, and communication skills to survive in the wild. As a result, they have a natural ability to sense the emotions of a person, sometimes even before the person does. Horses also have the innate ability to mirror incongruities between how one feels and acts in a clear, non-judgmental & direct way that facilitates authenticity and growth.
When clients step into an arena with a large horse, their instincts bring them into the very alive ‘here and now” of the present moment, a place beyond cognitive stories and defenses. This process, along with the fact that horse herd behavior often mimics human relationship patterns and family roles, makes equine-assisted therapy a powerful and proven modality for lasting healing, growth, and change.
Interested in equine-assisted counseling? Schedule an appointment today.
How You Benefit
- Develop trust
- Build confidence/self- esteem
- Develop body awareness
- Learn to set boundaries
- Deepen contact with yourself, your horse and others
- Learn to feel and express your feelings
- Learn new ways to communicate
- Understand how you are in relationship & experiment with new ways of connecting
- Instant feedback from a horse about your patterns and limiting beliefs
- Learn to regulate your emotions in the moment